It is said that no matter what, no matter where you are, no matter who you are with; you will always be a Kannadiga at heart. As I arrived at Melbourne, I learnt that the people I was about to meet were from Bangalore. Believe me, I did not know them before coming here. But there is some part inside you which tells you that you are connected.
I met them and I said "yen, ella arama?". My heart leaped in joy. I love speaking in english, no qualms about it. But there is some joy unexplained which erupts from within you when you are speaking kannada with somebody in person after nearly 2 months. I cannot exaplain how it feels when you say "yen maga, thindi yelli?" in the middle of thousand foreigners in a foreign land. Home just comes that much closer. Memories of Bangalore, memories of idli vada and everything else come flooding back, everything that makes my home Bangalore beautiful.
At the same time as I sat down to write about it, the only thing I know, I realized how important it is to retain the character your homeland bestowed upon you. No matter which country you are in, no matter which luxury car you are driven in; you will always be the little boy or girl from a city in India and inside you, that will always be paradise.
I have been in this beautiful country of Australia for almost 2 months, and I love it here. But I miss the traffic, I miss the people drinking coffee on the street side off a steel tumbler, I miss eating Idli standing by the footpath; well, I miss my city.
No matter what, my heart speaks Kannada; even in Australia.
I met them and I said "yen, ella arama?". My heart leaped in joy. I love speaking in english, no qualms about it. But there is some joy unexplained which erupts from within you when you are speaking kannada with somebody in person after nearly 2 months. I cannot exaplain how it feels when you say "yen maga, thindi yelli?" in the middle of thousand foreigners in a foreign land. Home just comes that much closer. Memories of Bangalore, memories of idli vada and everything else come flooding back, everything that makes my home Bangalore beautiful.
At the same time as I sat down to write about it, the only thing I know, I realized how important it is to retain the character your homeland bestowed upon you. No matter which country you are in, no matter which luxury car you are driven in; you will always be the little boy or girl from a city in India and inside you, that will always be paradise.
I have been in this beautiful country of Australia for almost 2 months, and I love it here. But I miss the traffic, I miss the people drinking coffee on the street side off a steel tumbler, I miss eating Idli standing by the footpath; well, I miss my city.
No matter what, my heart speaks Kannada; even in Australia.
No comments:
Post a Comment